Tweet Me!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Aidan's Rocket Adventure

Aidan went to the Space and Rocket Center today with his Maw-Maw, Paw-Paw, Great-Grandma, Great-Grandpa, and Uncle Matt. I worried about him - I won't lie. I know how he reacts to loud places and lots of people. Besides - the place is boring if you ask me! But he did great according to Maw-Maw. He had his difficult moments of course, but we've been working with him, giving him tools to cope with his difficulties. Impatience was an issue, but that's obviously a normal 5 year old issue. On the other hand, he really wasn't sure about the Davidson Center (this is where the house the gigantic Saturn V rocket that took us to the moon). Every so often someone would push the button and the sound of the rocket launch would echo through the massive building. Apparently once he was able to push the button himself he handled things a bit better.

What did surprise me was his enjoyment of the Mars ride. Again his tools helped him. Mom told him how it would sound and feel (to the best of her ability). She let him talk to some older kids who had already ridden it, and they assured him it was fun and were nice enough to let him go ahead of them so he could see the ride from the outside. It's one of those where you get in and the box just rocks around a whole lot but you have a big screen inside that makes you feel like a whole lot more is going on - sort of virtual reality I guess. Then the facilitator showed Aidan where the button was to stop the ride if he needed to get off (or anyone else did for that matter) and the ride started. At first he might have been a little scared, but he had a blast overall. And I'm glad.

This weekend he gets to stay with Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw while Jeremy and I go to Atlanta for a much needed vacation. He'll be staying with them for 3 nights. I know he'll be fine - and so will I! See you when we get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment