Tweet Me!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

20 Exclusion no-no's for teachers with autistic students in their mainstream classroom:

School is starting back! For the kids this can be an exciting time, but if your child has autism both you and he could be a bit worried about what's to come this year - especially if your child is moving into a mainstream classroom! Aidan's going to be in first grade this year, starting out with an aide with him in the mainstream classroom all day.

Here are twenty "obvious" rules for the mainstream teachers out there:


  1. Try not to use metaphors or sarcasm - “it's a piece of cake,” or “let's put our thinking caps on” are things don't make sense to me and it will take you a while to explain. Sarcasm is even harder to understand!
  2. Don't make jokes about clumsiness or difficulty speaking, even with the neurotypical children – it can make me even more self-conscious.
  3. Don't dismiss me as having nothing to say or refusing to participate or not paying attention just because I don't speak up.
  4. Don't give long strings of verbal instructions. Offer one step at a time and make sure to give me written or visual instructions or rules no matter how “simple” the instructions may be.
  5. Don't assume that because I refuse to look you in the eye that I have an attitude or am lying about something. Make sure neurotypical students understand this about their autistic peers. Don't force a child to make eye-contact!
  6. Don't assume that I will understand the gist of your rules or be able to apply them in a different way to other situations. I think of rules as literal, to be specifically followed to the letter in the situation in which they were presented. Generalizations are often useless to a child with autism.
  7. Try not to plan class parties or field trips in situations that are loud or noisy.
  8. Don't focus on a my disabilities, focus on my abilities. Don't use words like “weird” or “strange” or “bizarre” to describe children or their appearance or behaviors whether they are neurotypical or not.
  9. Don't make changes in the schedule or expect me to react calmly to changes in the day that happen without warning. If there are unanticipated changes, don't reprimand me if I do react negatively.
  10. Don't judge a me or reprimand me for choosing to communicate with you or my classmates in a way that is not speaking out loud – for example writing notes or drawing pictures.
  11. Do not rush me or speak over a me if I'm struggling to verbalize something. Give me time to put my thoughts together and don't try to speak FOR me unless I look for help. Don't assume it's not important if I'm not able to verbalize it.
  12. Don't punish me for being truthful! Sometimes a child with autism will say something that is painfully true (Joey smells bad, Ms. Smith's hair looks funny, etc). Also don't punish me for speaking up when I feel something is wrong or I have reached my limit.
  13. Make sure my classmates and I have a trusted person we can go to if we need to bring up a problem we are having with fellow students or even our teacher (this is the first step in stopping bullying!)
  14. Don't point out the strange behaviors I may exhibit while upset or distracted.
  15. Don't fill every inch of wall space with pictures or every quiet moment with music – every poster, scrape of a chair, squeak of the chalk/marker is one more thing for me to focus on instead of my work.
  16. Don't become impatient with me for not reacting or responding immediately after you give instructions or ask a question - give me a little bit of extra time for absorbing what you said.
  17. Don't assume that certain ways of acting or speaking are “common sense”. Children with autism have to LEARN things that come naturally to most people.
  18. Don't offer open ended choices (What do you want to eat?) - instead offer closed-ended choices (Would you rather have a hot dog today or chicken nuggets?)
  19. Don't JUST send a note home if I have a meltdown or hit another child and definitely don't WAIT to make sure my mom and dad know! Call that day and explain exactly what happened to my parents. Notes just don't give enough information and aren't urgent enough.
  20. Don't move from one activity in the day's schedule into another without some clear transition. Tell me how long until the next activity, what the activity is, and what is expected of my classmates and me during the activity.

    These are the rules I've got so far with help from the web and Twitter (I'm @thepyxie if you want to follow!). What do you have to add?  Feel free to print these out and hand them over to your child's teacher along with your phone number and email address so you know you can always stay in touch.

4 comments:

  1. These are GREAT! My son is the first one on the spectrum at his preschool(that his teachers are aware of,that is!) and the asked me to come chat with the staff at the beginning of the semester to help them understand. This is a fabulous place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I wish this was a requirement for teachers and aides or something they could post on walls. we at autism news wire we love stories like this. We are reaching over 70 countries and this is the information they really need from a day to day prespective of working with kids on the spectrum. We would love to publish some of your stuff. Let us know'

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ShesAlwaysWrite - I'm glad this is a great resource for you! Good luck with the new school year.

    @Curtis - Thanks! I agree that all mainstream teachers need a lot more information about how to deal with their special needs kids, especially with autism. I'd be happy for you to publish my stuff. I'm not a consistent poster, but I try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mutual friend recommended you blog to me. I like it! Thanks for info on exclusions to follow. My son is just starting the process of therapy and diagnosis and it is nice to read information from a parent that has been there. I have a blog as well if you would like to look at it. The address is www.strugglingmommy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete