Tweet Me!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Routine Interruptions

This week I'm reminded of how tenuous Aidan's hold on a normal life is.  Before Spring Break he had sooooo many days in a row and was mostly really easy to deal with at home too.  During Spring Break other than the two of us getting on each other's nerves a bit, he still did great.  But when he went back to school this week the feces hit the air circulation device so to speak.  He's had two bad days in a row.  Yesterday he was hitting kids and throwing things at them and not behaving well in general.  Today he was talking back to his teachers and pushed one of his classmates in the hallway because he wanted to be the line leader.  Ms. Annie says that they're doing SAT's this week and that the mainstream kindergarten teacher was out today.  Yesterday Ms. Annie was gone part of the day on a field trip. 

Aidan isn't great at dealing with transitions or changes in his routine.  It's one of his weaknesses.  Of course, he can't let that weakness rule his life or affect his behavior forever.  He's got to learn how to be flexible and control his own reactions to the changes in his life.  The only way I know how to help him do this is with consistent consequences no matter what the reason for his poor behaviour is.  Yesterday I gave him a warning that if he had another bad day at school he would not be allowed to play with his DS today and would lose his allowance that he gets on Sunday.  He's been doing great with helping out around the house and keeping his room clean because he gets a weekly allowance when he meets the requirements for earning it.  I explained to him that school was another of his responsibilities and he had to be good there just like he had to feed the kitties and keep his room clean in order to earn his allowance.  Today when he had a bad day and was told he wouldn't be getting to play with his DS or get his allowance on Sunday, he whined a little but seemed to understand that his actions had consequences and the consequences were fair.


Figuring out how to handle (and help him handle) the major and even minor changes in his life and his routine is quite a hurdle to jump, but I think we'll make it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!! I am fascinated by reading your blog!! My son is in Kindergarten and is repeating next year as well. He has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS and I agree with so much that you say. I am loving hearing your perspective. I tend to overthink everything and analyze everything regarding my son to an extreme degree...which is what had me searching the internet today as I was getting ready for his end of the year IEP at school. You make me want to start a blog about all this myself. If I do I'll send you my blog address. I think typing it out might help me...rather than having all these swirling around in my cluttered brain!! :) Anyway, just had to comment and say that my son also had a hard time after Spring Break. OUT OF THE BLUE he bit a classmate and he kept crying before school and telling me he didn't want to school because it was too hard. When he told me I was overcome with pride because he was able to express this to me!!! ...and had to keep myself from laughing because he said it with so much drama and emotion. Then, there was that little hint of, "Poor guy" in the back of my head...because I realized that it was difficult getting back in the swing of things after break. I will be coming back for sure...now I have to get back to prepping for my son's meeting, but I look forward to hearing more about what you have to say here. Great to hear from someone who has so much in common...I agree about so many things you've said about people who prey on parents of children with autism. We're in NC...so good to hear specifics about what is happening in other states. I often wonder how it compares. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this comment and don't know how I missed it. It means a lot to know that someone besides just my close friends and family is reading and benefiting from this blog. Thanks for following. Hope your little one does great in the upcoming school year!

    ReplyDelete