Tweet Me!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

First Week of Kindergarten - Conquered!

Congratulations to Aidan - he made it through his first week of kindergarten. And thanks a million to his teachers for helping him through it. There were ups and downs and challenges, but in the end, I think we both survived with flying colors.

Of course he took his ipod with him per the recommendation of his special ed teacher, but surprisingly, he did not even have to use it once. At least not that I know of - and definitely not on the first day when you'd have thought he might have to. The reason we send the ipod is because when he gets frustrated, or goes into sensory overload he can put the earphones in and turn on the music and it allows him to calm down much more easily. That little ipod was a great investment!

This week he learned about red (he can spell it and sing a song about it), squares and circles ("a square is a shape with 4 equal sides" and "a circle is a shape that is round"), and how to write the number one. Of course he wouldn't talk about it at first. In fact, for the first 3-4 hours after he got home from school every day, he wouldn't talk at all - only pointing and grunting, and if I tried to get him to talk, he'd scream at me not to talk to him. But Friday night he was a little talking machine, so I guess he finally transitioned.

The only other issue we had, and I'm not sure this had anything to do with autism, was that he didn't eat his lunch the first day in the cafeteria --- the teachers let him only get chips and cookies and beans, and he didn't eat the beans. Genius, you have to tell a kindergartener what to eat. Sorry, but really? I made it clear to the teachers and Aidan that he had to have one food from each food group and eat some of everything. I guess the rest of the week went better - they didn't email me after the first day, and he wouldn't talk to me...

We'll see how next week goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment